Saturday, February 8, 2020

So Much Winter

It’s mid-February and my cabin fever has spiked, predictably. Minnesota winters are cold and snowy and icy and last a long time. And it’s about this time of year, every year, I check in with my dad and sister to confirm who lives here only because the rest of us live here.

So what does one do for the many months of winter, besides complain about it? There are thousands of articles, blogs, podcasts, talk show segments, and pep talks from friends and spouses with encouraging ideas about how to “embrace” winter. I should try harder to be less crabby.

I think it really comes down to this: my love for summer is far greater than my distaste for winter. I love Christmas, first snowfalls, warm beverages, occasional downhill skiing. But I love, LOVE fresh warm air, sitting on the deck, icy drinks, flip-flops, extra daylight hours, green growing things everywhere...

If you are a winter lover, please know I mean no disrespect. I don’t fully understand you, but I respect your opinion. And I will try to get a better attitude about this incredibly long season, at least until my moving truck arrives <wink>.

Here are some winter/snow loving folks doing creative things:

This artist walks in the snow all day to create beautiful designs.

Snow art

Here’s what people in the happiest cold-weather countries do. This article points out, “If you look closely at the World Happiness Report for 2019, you’ll notice the top 10 is peppered with cold-weather countries that deal with even lower temperatures and longer periods of darkness than most parts of the U.S.” Mkay!

Five jobs for people who love winter. (Only five?!)

This man might love tropical summer more than me.

Read about "Arctic diamond" ice used for the most impressive ice sculptures in the world.

"Arctic diamond" ice blocks
Sweatshirt on Etsy
Tory Burch sandals


No comments:

Post a Comment