Monday, March 31, 2014

The Need For Clear Is Unclear

My mornings often begin very early with two small children who find their way into my bed for predawn snuggles.  With only faint signs of sunrise and the birds hardly chirping yet, it's still hard to argue that this isn't a great way to begin the day. 

After my children and my husband, my next most favorite thing to see each morning is my coffee mug full of a nice dark brew.  I'm a huuuuuge coffee lover/drinker/promoter/addict.  The earthy smell, the bitter taste, the rich brown hue, mmmmm, heavenly.  And with small kiddos, necessary.

Well today Minneapolis-based Caribou Coffee announced its new blend, Caribou Clear.  According to Caribou, it's a "proprietary new coffee blend that has removed the color while retaining all the flavor."  The company says it was developed in response to complaints of coffee stains on teeth and other things.  I don't like those stains either, but I'm not sold on why we should so dramatically alter this otherwise perfect beverage.  The dark caramel color is a very important part of the coffee experience!

The clear brew will be sold online starting tomorrow and in stores next month.  I tell my girls: you don't have to like it, but you have to try it.  Well I'm the mom and I get to overrule my own rules.  For now I'm sticking to my dark roast.  Your thoughts?  (About clear coffee, not about breaking my own parenting rules, haha.)

Updated 4/1, from Caribou's website: Thank you for participating in our April Fool’s Day joke!  Ahahahahaha.  I actually feel relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment