Saturday, January 11, 2020

It's Pronounced Rose-EL


A quick Saturday musing (yay me, day two and I'm still doing it.) 

When I was getting ready to get married, I went round-and-round with myself about my new legal name. I'm a feminist, progressive, was known in professional circles as Kristin Fischer, the last of the "Fischers" in my family lineage... and I liked my name as it was. But I also liked the idea of taking Jesse's last name so we had that connection, our future kids could have parents with the same name, maybe eliminate some confusion. Jesse said it was my choice, though he did like the idea of us having the same last name. So the compromise -- with myself -- was adding Rosel. No hyphen, not making Fischer my middle name, just tacking Rosel on the end. Like Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis.

More than a decade later, I'm still good with my decision. It does create some confusion when it comes to health records, prescriptions, some logins. It's not like my name is complicated. And I'm always surprised when there's a struggle to "find me" in a computer database. C'mon, CVS, it's 2020! 

And I'll quickly clarify one thing: I did not add Rosel because I love rosè. It's just a happy coincidence. Côte des Roses is a delicious choice in a beautiful bottle.

Côte des Roses Rosè

More food for thought about changing your name.

The New York Times did this feature on maiden names in 2015.

Those royal kiddos have different last names. Here's why.

Unusual celebrity names are always a fun read. Pretty sure my daughter has a unicorn toy she also named Petal Blossom Rainbow.

From the book, "Uni the Unicorn"

Cannabis-infused rosè. I'm not high, read about this new trend here.


Caramel Creme NA Martini





No comments:

Post a Comment