Monday, January 20, 2020

Today is a day "on"

I was born years after Martin Luther King, Jr., was assassinated. It wasn't a news event that I recall where I was and what I was doing when it happened, like when the Challenger exploded. I learned about MLK, Jr., in school and over the years developed a fuller understanding of his life and work and message.

I grew up in a suburb of St. Paul that was largely caucasian and middle- to upper-middle-class. I got a great early education at our local public schools from teachers who pushed us and with families who supported us. Our community felt mostly safe and accessible and offered us young people the chance to explore our little world without much fear of something bad happening to us. And to my fairly sheltered 17-year-old mind, the world was probably mostly like this in most places. 

This many years later, I wouldn't say I was completely naive back then. I was always curious about the world and social justice issues and where my life choices would lead me. But I definitely didn't personally struggle with issues of race, poverty, food insecurity, injustice, prejudice, and on and on. Life for me was easy compared to others who face these major challenges daily. And it still is.

My "struggle" back then -- and still today -- is this: what can *I* do to improve these issues for those who are affected? What can a blonde, green eyed woman from White Bear Lake, Minnesota do to improve race issues? Is it about intent? Sincerity? Doing something, anything? Read/listen/attend/learn more? It's an overwhelming question -- what can *I* do? -- but there's got to be a way to boil it down a bit. Here I go.

Martin Luther King, Jr.'s, message was about peace, freedom and unity. He dreamed of a day when his four little children would "not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." One of his most powerful messages was, "Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'"

Okay, that's a good place to start -- what are we doing for others? 

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is officially a national day of service. The motto is "a day on, not a day off." I'm spending some time today to reflect on new ways to serve others in my community. I'm grateful for my fortunate life and being a good neighbor is crucial as we work to improve life for others. We have to show up. We have to lead by example. We all have work to do.


At age 35, MLK, Jr., was the youngest man to receive the Nobel Peace Prize.

129 examples of community service projects. Jump in!

Editorial: What MLK, Jr. might think of America today.

The mental health benefits of volunteering.

Black history makers mug



No comments:

Post a Comment